08 May 2011

8th of May

Milestones
Passed 32 million for GPUgrid during the week.


GTX570 installed
I put the other Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum card into Sulu during the weekend. I hit a minor snag as the power connector had an 8 pin-only PCIe plug, but it turned out to be a 6 to 8 pin adaptor. The GTX50 needs two 6 pin PCIe power cables plugged in, whereas the old GTX295 needed 6 and an 8 pin power cable.


QCN sensors
The company I bought these through shipped me another pair of them. I only placed one order in March. They seem to have processed the order twice. Rather than send them back I will keep them. I have let them know and they'll give them to me at a discount seeing as I didn't make two orders.


Project update - Seti@home
They have started recording data from the Green bank radio telescope this weekend. While we don't expect to be able to process it immediately, as there is some mapping of the data to a common format and some other software development required, there is some hope it will happen soon.

We've also been prompting them to see if they can use the data from the Parkes radio telescope. At the moment they don't have any agreement for data sharing or a data recorder in place.


BOINC tasks
This is an add-on program that was written by a fellow cruncher for monitoring a group of machines (up to 60). Its quite similar to the old favorite BOINCview, which is getting rather out of date. I have installed it on my old laptop to see how it goes, and its quite good now, supporting some of the new functions such as Notices which are only in the development versions of BOINC.

You can grab a copy from http://www.efmer.eu/

No comments: