10 June 2017

10th of June

Farm status
Intel GPUs
Running Einstein gravity wave and Seti work

Nvidia GPUs
The Ryzens are running Seti work. The i3's are running Einstein gravity wave work

Raspberry Pis
All running Einstein BRP4 work


Rpi news
It seems there is a Trojan out that specifically targets the Raspberry Pi. Apparently a lot of people don't change the default password. Here is a link to the article: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-linux-trojans-installs-crypto-currency-mining-software-on-raspberry-pi.html

The copper heatsinks from Enzotech arrived yesterday. I have ordered 3 more Pi3's and a couple of cases.


Electricity price increase
My current electricity retailer has announced a 16% price increase for electricity and 9% for gas from the 1st of July. There are a couple of other retailers I could switch to. I will compare them but I expect they will all increase around the same time.

The electricity price increase would mean the Ryzen upgrade (from a 1700 to 1700X) would not be cost effective. It uses another 30 watts for around a 10-12% increase in output. I might have made the right decision about which Ryzen chip to get after all :-)

I have seen a natural gas powered generator around the size of a washing machine for business use but they have a high purchase price. A diesel or petrol powered generator is going to be cheap to buy but cost a lot to run. Its time to look into a solar and battery solution.


Other farm news
My current planning has me looking at another pair of Ryzen 1700's. I have spare cases, hard disk drives and graphics cards for them to keep the cost down. This would free up the i3's for something else although I don't currently have anything in mind for them.

No comments: